Good news for coffee lovers: coffee is actually good for your workouts. In fact, it is one of the most effective pre-workout drinks, in addition to providing some great health benefits.
Here are a few reasons coffee complements your workouts:
- Better focus. Thanks to the caffeine, your level of alertness increases, which keeps your workouts productive and effective.
- Increased energy. There have been studies that have shown consuming coffee before a workout results in a boost in strength and stamina performances.
- Increased metabolism. There are properties in coffee that, when consumed before exercise, can cause fat cells to be used as an energy source as opposed to glycogen. Also, the high amounts of caffeine in black coffee will increase your metabolism, which makes you burn more calories throughout the day. As a bonus, coffee is also an appetite suppressant, causing you to be less hungry.
- Less muscle pain. Recent studies have shown that people drinking coffee before working out experienced less muscle pain. As a result, you can do a higher intensity workout.
- Antioxidants. Coffee has a high amount of antioxidants, helping prevent disease and sickness.
Like with everything else, though, moderation is the key. So feel free to get a cup of joe before your next workout and reap all the benefits it can give you.